Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ending of King Lear

Hey all,
I was just going over my notes for King Lear, and at the very end of my notes for this play I had written something about the odd ending of the play, in the sense that a great tragedy must have a great person fall from great heights, and this does not happen in King Lear. I never thought too hard about it because the notes were just scribbled down at the end of class, but the idea of Lear's fall has already occurred in the play early on, which led me to think throughout the play, what's to come next? I was always anticipating, rather than getting into the storyline. Unlike Macbeth, for instance, where everything is built up so to such a great conclusion to the play, in this one the anticlimactic ending really comes through, and it left me feeling slightly depressed at the idea that the greatness is lost so early on in the play, and everyone has to suffer through it before being killed off anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favourite plays, but for a play that was so overdramatic and filled with exaggeration at the beginning, the ending just doesn't quite match to me.
Anyway, that's my two cents =)
Good luck on the final!

Jessica White
TA: Amanda Waldo
Section 1D

No comments: